post circle

That time we tried out for The Amazing Race...

5.02.2012

I have always, always, ALWAYS been a big fan of the Amazing Race.
I've dreamed and dreamed of auditioning for the show and have been trying to get DDHP to try out with me for about 4 years now.
I've filled out the online application...oh, about 10 times and everytime I would try and convince Drew to make a video with me, he'd shout out obscene things so I couldn't use the video. I'd be like, "Hey Amazing Race, my name is Shalyn and this is my husband Drew..." AND then he'd be like, "AND I DON'T WANT TO BE ON THE SHOW! WHY WOULD YOU PICK US OUT OF THE 20,000 PEOPLE THAT WANT TO BE ON IT!?" (Ummm...because we are awesome babe, that's why!? DUH!)
Hence...why I'd never submit our video.
The other day I was sitting at work in my sea of cubicles banging my head on my desk thinking WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE!? So I texted Andrew and said, "Babe, You only live once. Let's sell our cars, let's sell our house, and all of our belongings and buy a plane ticket to anywhere in the world. Let's document it and inspire people to get out of their routines and just see the world!"
There might have been a few crickets after I went on and on about this idea. Naturally, Drew thought I was INSANE and that's when I said, "Fine. It's either that or you do Amazing Race with me...confident we could totally make the show haha.
So, after 4 years of convincing him that we could TOTALLY make it (Hahaha wishful thinking)...I FINALLY convinced him to do it.
I get online on 4/24 and the website says, "All video submissions are DUE on 4/25." So, I freak out, text Andrew and say, "WE HAVE TO DO OUR VIDEO TONIGHT BABE OR WE WILL MISS OUR CHANCE!"
He agrees...
We get home...Go to our game...Come home and we get a phone call from Andrew's parents saying that his sister was a mess because her boyfriend had broke up with her.
So, Drew goes to see his sister...and he doesn't get home until after midnight...which means it's then TOO late to make our video.
I might have been a tad bit sad.
BUT THEN I think, WELL let me look at open calls.
I google Amazing Race Casting Calls and what do I see!?
THEY ARE COMING TO AUSTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLLA! SCOREEEEEEEEEEEEE! THE CROWD GOES WILD! "IT'S FATE" I THINK!
Well...
I must have gotten a little TOO excited and didn't READ the actual date.
It's Sunday and Drew and I get dressed and drive the 45 minutes to the "Open Casting Call in Austin."
We drive around and drive around looking for this ampitheatre...and I get on my phone and I'm looking for more information.
Then I see it...
And I start laughing uncontrollably.
You will see why... Oh yeah...I'm an idiot. What do you think? Should we tweet this to CBS and see if we can still get on the show? Haha, I doubt it but DUDE...I about peed my pants. Gotta love it. (Sorry for all the videos lately...for some reason we have been iphone video crazy.) Love y'all. And please...don't judge. I just have a few brain farts here and there. BOO-YA!

post circle 54 comments :

  1. Best video ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just DIED laughing at this video! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you have one sweet husband! Mine would be too annoyed with me to talk to me for a week! You guys are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shaly, I love you!!! This is totally something I would do! Complete with the crying when it all sank in...sorry you didn't get to try out...next year for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wtf? where did my comment just go???

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll totally make the show, next year :)

    Tab
    my-cliffnotes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha... That was so funny. You guys are so cute.

    I've totally done something like this before....Misread a date, showed up, only to find out that I read it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is too funny! and I do believe you should send this video in. they must may choose you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so great!! You are TOTALLY in for next year with this video!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love it. send it. so i can say I know someone on the amazing race : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAHAHAHAHA. OMG. This is hilarious. Welll... maybe next year guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Send in this video...NOW! I guarantee they WILL remember you guys!! DO IT!!! Late or not...it's worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh.my.gosh. i cannot handle how perfect this video is! if you don't get chosen next year (which i cannot imagine why, it's adorable AND real), at least you will have entertained the people who chose the cast :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aaaand I died laughing at this video...AGAIN! Seriously...SO FUNNY!!

    My favorite part is when you hold up your pic and DDHP goes "That's Pretty Pretty. That's my girl." Seriously DDHP??!! SO SWEET!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this video will FOR SURE get you in for next year!! Perfection!! p.s. My brother tried out one year and didn't make it. So I'm familiar with how much someone wants to be on AR!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First time reader ~ I found you via Beautiful Mess. LOVE Steph and Beau!!!

    I LOVE the Amazing Race and you should totally submit that video. But you've got to find a way to include that last minute. It was priceless!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that show and LOVE your video even more. You both would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahh I LOVE the Amazing Race!! Since I am not 21 yet I cannot apply but you bet I will be applying once I am! There is a race here in Minneapolis (and I know it is in a ton of different cities) that's called Urban Dare. It's just like the The Amazing Race but only for one day and it revolves around your city. You have to do trivia and different "tasks." I'm going to do it here in July...you guys should check it out! There might be one in Austin or Texas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is hilarious..and I definitely think you should submit it for next year! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This NEEDS to be your video for next year!! And don't feel bad - that's totally something I would do too :) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is too funny! Glad you guys could laugh about it, my husband would have been sooo furious with me ha!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's hilarious and totally something I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just when I thought I couldn't love y'all anymore....seriously, y'all could not be any cuter!! And yes, you definitely need to tweet them with this! They would be crazy not to want y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Next year when you get the date right {wink}, we can rally for you, We could start an outright war against them to make sure you get picked. Your dedication would not go un noticed.

    {Shauna}
    www.ShaunaWyrick.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. So stinkin' precious!! You should DEFINITELY send the video!!! Immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is awesome! You need to send them that video ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG I laughed so hard! Great video!! You should still send it to them!!


    countryrootscityliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. "You got everything else right except that last little number." Best line ever.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aww man! Next year- Drew pinky swore and you have the whole blogworld as witnesses.

    I've filled out the application about 3 times now and submitted a video- never heard back!! eep.

    My life goal is in 3 years, no matter what the circumstances, we are moving to Europe because I want to grow old and say I did it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Omg that's totally something I would of done too!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  31. hahahahahaha ohhh my, I'm dying!! you are haaa-larious!! and quite possibly the cutest couple on the planet. i definitely vote you send in the video anyway :)
    anddd love your blog! <3

    ReplyDelete
  32. You don't know me and I don't know you, but I read your blog because it is interesting, hilarious, and just down right fun.

    I love all of your videos and, at times, your blog makes me laugh when I am down in the dumps.

    If I were casting for TAR, I would definitely pick you because of that video. It is a winning video...send it. Send it late...maybe they will see it anyway and pick you...you never know unless you try. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  33. best thing I've read all day. love!

    ReplyDelete
  34. dont judge me dont judge me HAAHHAH OMG DDHP i love you guys soo much

    ahhh shay!!! i just love you!!! hahaha i just wanna give you a HUGE HUG!! next year next year!!!!! and theyre gonna love this!!! you best send this! :-)

    "except that last little number" hahah omg you guys are my favorite

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  35. oh this is fabulous!!! I hope this gets you on the race this year!!! not next. :]

    ReplyDelete
  36. this is so funny! Geez, we have to meet in real life. We would have too much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Brilliant idea! Travel the world! And while you're traveling the u.s. part of the world, you've got blog friends everywhere to stay with! My house is open if you come to PA ... Just saying

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hahaha, so funny! send it in!

    ReplyDelete
  39. hahaha laughed out loud at that video!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. hahaha laughed out loud at that video!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. HA! Aww Shay!! haha!
    Seriously the funniest/most adorable video EVER. You guys should definitley get on the show..

    Or Win an award for CUTEST COUPLE EVER! :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. SOOOO hilarious-- I seriously laughed right along with you this morning! That totally sounds like something I would have done!

    I hope you guys still get on the show, somehow, at some point! My boss and his wife have always wanted to do it, but I guess they always tape in the Fall? And that's our busiest time of year for work!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Cutest video EVER! Love you two!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love this and i LOVE the amazing race! I try to get my husband to try out for it every year too, but i think they would laught at us! I did get to meet the host Phil one year, he is super nice! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks for sharing Shay!!! I love this!!! The two of you would be perfect! Let's start a campaign!!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hilarious!!! Grest video. Yu two are amazing, i needed that laugh

    ReplyDelete
  47. you guys are probably the sweetest... the way your husband talks about you and acts towards you is beautiful. Seriously makes me want to keep waiting for the one and not settle. ever. your beautiful! and inspiring! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. This was one of the most entertaining videos I've watched in awhile...I LOVE this!!! You both are too adorable and love getting to a casting fashionably late...even if that is a year! ;) Love you both and here's to next year!!! Love how positive he is...you are both FABULOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. this is seriously the best video ever!! i totally think you should send it in! and i hope one day you will get to be on the amazing race :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh my gracious... I am laughing so hard I'm crying. This is priceless. So glad y'all got it on video. Best audition tape EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love this. Love love love. Applying for the Amazing Race is on my bucket list. You guys have to submit it. I would totally pick you!

    ~Tiffany
    http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. oh my gosh, I feel so bad for laughing so hard at this!

    I love that you shared this with the whole internet. I would have been way too embarrassed. I give you so many props/I like you so much for posting that video! You're the cutest, even when you cry (which is TOTALLY the way I would have reacted: laugh turned cry haha).

    ReplyDelete
  53. Oh my gosh! You so should have sumbitted the video and tried! Yall would be perfect and this video proves it! What a funny, cute, sweet video all in the same! You were so upset and Drew was so nice about! Such a sweet couple!!!!

    ReplyDelete